Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is bring Stanley Kubrick’s ‘The Shining‘ to 4K UHD just in time for Halloween. Specifically on October 1st, which will be a complete 4K remastering of Kubrick’s original 146 minute version, which premiered in the USA, back in 1980. The new 4K remastering was done using a new 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative at Warner Bros, where Steven Spielberg and Leon Vitali supervised and worked on the remaster. This new version will even be screened at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.
The Shining Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack features an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc with the film in high definition and the special features in high definition, and a Digital version of the movie. Fans can also own The Shining in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on October 1. The Ultra HD Blu-ray of The Shining will include more than three hours of previously released special features.
Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) becomes the winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer’s block. He settles in along with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and his son, Danny (Danny Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack’s writing goes nowhere and Danny’s visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel’s dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.
Ultra HD Blu-ray Bonus Features
The Shining Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:
- Audio commentary by Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown and Stanley Kubrick biographer John Baxter
- Video from the Overlook: Crafting The Shining
– Enter the terrifying world of the Overlook Hotel as only Stanley Kubrick could envision it
- The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
– A detailed look at one of cinema’s greatest visual storytellers and his unique ability to move audiences through the magic of unforgettable images
- The Making of The Shining
– This cinema verite documentary offers a rare glimpse into the directing style of Stanley Kubrick as he interacts with stars Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall and others
- Wendy Carlos, Composer
– Composer Wendy Carlos reflects on working with complex auteur Stanley Kubrick and developing music scores for The Shining and A Clockwork Orange